BBQ Poached Eggs Benedict
By: Chef John Malik
- 4 Born Free Eggs
- Half pound smoked & pulled pork
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, very cold or frozen
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Two sweet yellow or red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Place thinly sliced onions into mason jar. Into 4-quart stock pot add vinegar, water, salt,
- pepper flakes, brown sugar and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Carefully pour hot liquid over cut onions and
- set aside. Rinse out stockpot.
BBQ Mayonnaise: Mix together ingredients in small bowl, set aside.
- Into large steel bowl, sift flour, salt and baking powder.
- Grate frozen butter into flour. Scrape off residual butter inside grater, then using a fork, cut butter into flour until flour mixture is crumbly in texture.
- Add in buttermilk and using hands or fork, mix until dough has come together.
- Dust countertop with a bit of flour, then use rolling pin to gently roll then fold dough three times. Using a flour-dusted biscuit cutter, cut biscuits and place onto sheet pan.
- Bake at 400F for approximately 18 to 20 minutes or until light brown and crisp on edges.
BBQ Pork: Place pulled smoked pork into cast iron skillet, add a little BBQ sauce and place into oven.
BBQ Poached Eggs:
Add two quarts of plain water to 4-quart stock pot and bring to boil.
Add ¼ cup of BBQ sauce to water and one tablespoon of vinegar.
Crack four Born Free eggs into a bowl, taking care not to crack the yolks.
Turn off heat, then gently slide cracked eggs into water.
Cover with lid and set timer for three minutes.
Use slotted spoon to remove eggs and gently place on sheet pan with paper towels.
To serve: Split one biscuit open, place a dollop of BBQ mayonnaise on biscuit, top with warm pulled pork, then a few pickled onions, then top with poached egg. Garnish with BBQ mayonnaise.