Apple Cider Donuts
By: Heather Martin
Prep: 20 Minutes Cooking: 15 Minutes Serves: 18
- 1 Born Free Egg
- 1 1/2 cups of apple cider
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 tbs unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 2/4 tsp apple pie spice
- Reduce apple cider on the stove, stirring occasionally until there is 1/2 cup left (usually about 20 min). Let it cool
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the melted butter, egg, brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk, and vanilla extract together. Pour into the dry ingredients, add the reduced apple cider, and whisk everything together until smooth and combined. Batter will be slightly thick.
- Spoon the batter into the donut cavities—do not over pour! My first batch came out as muffins 🙂
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the edges and tops are lightly browned. To test, poke your finger into the top of the donut. If the donut bounces back, they’re done. Cool donuts for 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Re-grease the pan and bake the remaining donut batter.
- Once cool, dip donuts in sugar topping mixture to coat.